A few things that I had to do after installing Ubuntu.
- Install CCSM, compiz config setting manager (package compizconfig-settings-manager)
- Install extra compiz plugins (apt-get install compiz-plugins-extra)
- In compiz / CCSM, do the following:
- Enable window rules, define rule “maximize” as “class=Gnome-terminal” (gnome terminal always maximized, but not fullscreen)
- In the “place windows” plugin, select “use output device with pointer” for the “multi output mode”. Plugin should be enabled to correctly place the guake window.
In the “window decorations” plugin, put “none” under “Decoration windows”. I want to have window shadows, but I only resize and move windows with alt-button1 and alt-button2.in 14.04, one has to modify the theme CSS files for the same purpose
- In the scale plugin, set ctrl-alt-up to expose all windows; set ctrl-shift-up to expose windows on current desktop only. Bind “initiate window picker” to the bottom edge.
- Disable desktop wall, enable cube and cube rotate instead.
- Enable “workspace naming” plugin and update the number of workspaces.
- In the expo plugin, enable “expo edge” — to “bottom right”. This allows to switch between the worskpaces with your mouse only (something I need when I am on the phone).
- Change clock / date settings to show date and 24h clock
- Install: vim guake inkscape encfs google-chrome indicator-multiload virtualbox xzgv gimp unrar mplayer stellarium screen gnumeric unison gcp [ssh (on the workstation)]
- Reinstall virtualbox guest-additions, otherwise Windows in virtualbox will not run correctly
- Install LaTeX: apt-get install texlive-base texlive-bibtex-extra pdfjam texlive-latex-extra
- Add CRAN repository to the sources, in case of 14.04, “deb http://mirrors.softliste.de/cran/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/”
- Run apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade ; apt-get install r-recommended r-base-dev ; apt-get build-dep rgl
- Install the colorout package (not on CRAN officially except for the archives, but a great little tool)
- From R prompt, install setwidth, mixOmics, randomForest, reshape2, rgl, beeswarm, pca3d, tagcloud, ellipse, testthat, XML, roxygen2 and a few others.
- From R prompt, install the biocLite script and install bioconductor (biocLite()) and limma.
- Use biocUpgrade() if necessary.
- Make sudo run w/o a password: “%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL”
- On the laptop, install vpnc and copy the config files from my private settings folder in the home directory
- Go to the “Privacy” setting and set “record activity” and “include online search results” to “off”.
- Disabled apport: edit /etc/default/apport and stop it with “stop apport”.
- Install Skype
- Install Adobe Source Code Pro font (in home directory, necessary to only do once if you don’t format your home directory
- The samba shares in the new Ubuntu versions are mounted in /run/users//gvfs/
13.04 is better than 12.04, in which compiz is as good as broken (scale plugin doesn’t work, crashes often, cube doesn’t work). However, I am plagued by these pesky “system problem detected” windows (therefore, I disapled apport). And google earth managed to completely freeze my computer, not even switching to text terminal or logging in via ssh was possible — had to press the button.
Update: 14.04 seems to be a nice update to 13.xx; I like such updates, a few polished corners, but nothing revolutionary.